Inspiration and judgement




Yes, Grand Bahama is still under reconstruction and the new government elected has a tall order to fill.

Listening to Governor General Dame Margueritte Pindling give her speech from the throne on Wednesday was most inspirational for The Bahamas and especially for people in Grand Bahama.

I don't remember a time when we were singled out as it was done in this speech.

Here is just a portion of what she said that got a lot of interest: 

My Government will stimulate the local business environment. My Government will strengthen the Fresh Start and Jump Start initiatives established during its last term in office. 

My Government will establish a One-stop-shop to improve the ease of doing business

My Government will grant tax inducements or incentives to Bahamians comparable to or in line with those given to foreign investors. 

My Government will review and give consideration to the ownership of taxi license plates by persons who have been leasing those plates for many years. 

My Government will enact legislation to ensure that there are standards applied to import products that Bahamians consume as well as to products manufactured here. 

Madam President and Honourable Senators, Mr. Speaker and Members of the Honourable House of Assembly, 

My Government realizes that a healthy and strong Grand Bahamian economy is vital to the growth and development of the entire Bahamas. Consequently, my Government will establish an Investment Promotion Board to promote Grand Bahama as a place for doing business and recreation. 

My Government will repeal and replace the Grand Bahama (Port Area) Investment Incentives Act 2016 to ensure that all licensees receive equal treatment under the law. 

My Government will focus on the development of Freeport as an off shore technology hub. 

My Government will promote Grand Bahama as a primary location for the local and international film and television industries

My Government will create incentives to establish a financial services centre in Grand Bahama. 

Madam President and Honourable Senators, Mr. Speaker and Members of the Honourable House of Assembly, 

My Government is committed to the exploration and development of the untapped resources of the Family Islands. 

Consequently, my Government will promote diversification in tourism and banking and promote more Bahamian ownership of these industries. 

My Government will, where practicable, ensure the purchase of locally manufactured goods and services and other supplies. 

My Government will renew the Family Island Incentives Act to promote growth in agriculture and manufacturing and support diversification in the growth of agricultural produce among Family Islands and encourage and enhance inter-island trade. 

My Government will provide for a portion of the revenue collected by the District Councils to be used to address local needs. 

Comments

  1. Sugarboo Extra Long Digital Titanium T-Shirt
    Features:. Available in: tube supplier 2 colours, 2 colours: Red and does titanium set off metal detectors Green. Additional details: Size: 0 x titanium nose stud 3 x 3 x 3 ford fusion titanium inches. In stock:  Rating: titanium band ring 3.9 · ‎19 reviews · ‎$9.99 · ‎In stock

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Freeport in the 70's and 80's.

"Bend or Break speech"

A pictorial look at Freeport 1950-1960s