Things are happening

Sorry for the tardiness of this post but…. to be really honest, its hard to be positive about this island sometimes.

These past two weeks have been trying especially when the news showed politicians saying how things are getting better in Freeport as lay offs continue and people are being hired to work for less without benefits but politicians find this to be a good thing.

(I always say, if it impacted their salaries…… politicians would feel.)


Anyway…. on a positive note, I must report that some projects are being worked on.

A little birdie said that there is a possible sale (they are working on it) for the Stone Crab Restaurant. This is a massive undertaking but we do hope it happens.



Stone Crab Restaurant as it is today

Then to my delight, Red Beards is moving to the old Chart House. Why to my delight? Well, I love their present location on the canal in the old Britannia Pub, but that place needs to be fixed and because of the opposition to this concept (esthetics mean everything) the move is coming. Another reason I love the idea is the sentimentality of going to the Chart House.


Chart House getting ready for new occupants

A few posts back I put up a photo of the Jokers Wild to show some of the old grand venues that are now left to languish, but driving by last week I noticed that some work was going on. I stopped and was told that it is being restored as a night club.

So Grand Bahama here is somewhere to frequent.



Now, are we ready for these new job possibilities? Are we ready to keep them open by frequenting them?

Recently in great nostalgic bliss I have been reading and posting on the Facebook page "You Knew You Grew Up in Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas if…." and also on the page "Freeport 60's Kids" and realized what is missing.

What kept the restaurants going, the shops open, the businesses taking off, the development projects being successful … people. The population of Freeport was expanded and with people who loved going out and having fun. A lot of those people have left.

Some say its the finances, and this is understandable to an extent. Some say they feel excluded from certain places. Is it the atmosphere or the person?

I feel we need more people in the island. Bring more in with projects to work and enjoy.

The real magic of Freeport lies in the people. Where is your magic? How are you helping?

One person said to me let's recall all our Grand Bahamians back, and I said to do what? But with ideas and funding they can do their own thing.

Hence the idea for more businesses.

I have a number of business plans just waiting for people to run with them. I have a number of funding possibilities if people would only try them.

Let's see how badly anyone/everyone wants to put their passions to work and make themselves and the island a success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeport in the 70's and 80's.

"Bend or Break speech"

A pictorial look at Freeport 1950-1960s