Great reaction to storm

(copied with permission from Lesley Baptista on Facebook)


Hard to believe it has been more than a week since our island was so terribly hit by Hurricane Matthew. Devastation. And hope. I will take the hope. I came home to this picture done by my daughter Amelia (can I get a whoop whoop for no electronics for a bit??!!). 

It reminded me that in midst of total devastation, even dead, broken trees and debris everywhere, there is much love. In fact, maybe that is where the most real, true love comes from... out of loss, hurt, devastation. I am thinking it isnt really coming from my a/c house and comfort zone! (Nope, we dont have power lol). We are witnessing tremendous progress (big props to GB Power, BTC, Cable Bahamas... all the stores opening etc...) in such a short time. 

I know what it is like to lose all of our material things. It is so very hard. I do, however, also know that much can come from that loss, too. Together, we will rebuild. So, for anyone still reading my rambling... how can you help???? Local folks... remain patient. 

Count your blessings. Trust me, someone always has it harder. Help a neighbour or someone you have never met. Share. Give. Smile. Shop locally. Support the businesses who are busting their butts to cook hot food, sell groceries, ice and water. Those who sell building supplies, generators. Thank the power guys who arent home with their families but are working around the clock. Yes, go ahead and shout your thanks. 

Make sure Govt knows we want businesses here to be able to sell under the NEMA provisions. That should be a priority as it is the local business community that is our strength. Donate... there is oh so much need and so many good places to give to. Don't take anything that isn't yours. 

Dont try to pull fast ones on insurance or customs. Support the local businesses that employ Grand Bahamians. Be kind. Remember when the kids get frustrated that they are carrying a load too... they were scared, too. Play with them. Give thanks. Be patient... that is worth mentioning twice because we are going to need it. But, together, we will rebuild. I am ready for a new Grand Bahama... grounded in our amazing faith and resilience... this may just be it... This heart, made out of twisted thorns and branches, reminds me how much love there is... let's show it 

<3 #grandbahamastrong

Lesley Baptista

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeport in the 70's and 80's.

"Bend or Break speech"

A pictorial look at Freeport 1950-1960s